Amanda Hathorn Geary worked on cruise ships for 10 years, worked in cruise ship recruitment for 6 years and now has her own business as a cruise ship employment specialist, and she’s here to share what life at sea is like.
On this episode we talk about what it’s like to work on a cruise ship, how a job on the cruise ship fulfills the desire to travel, what you can expect from a job on a cruise ship, and what Amanda loves about the cruise ship industry.
What we talk about:
- What inspired Amanda to get into the cruise ship industry
- What the living conditions on a cruise ship are like as staff
- C1 / D1 visa for working on cruise ships, which allows you to travel to the country the cruise ship goes to
- Even though you work a lot, you are on the same route for a while so you get a lot of opportunity to explore the areas you stop at
- “Home is where the anchor drops”
- It takes about 30 days to get adjusted to life on a cruise ship
- You don’t have any expenses while you’re living on board the ship, so you save most of your income
- Working on a cruise ship is a wonderful way to travel, save most of your money and meet people from around the world
- Social life on the cruise ship
- Some jobs work more than others, but everyone works 7 days a week on a rotational schedule
- The best jobs for entry level individuals
- Paying taxes as a cruise ship employee
- Unexpected benefits of working on a cruise ship
- Best cruise ship stories + favorite places Amanda got to visit
- Amanda’s transition off the ship
- What is Get a Life at Sea?
- Working on a cruise ship can help you to get a job in the future – you learn high level customer service skills and how to work hard!
This episode of the podcast is brought to you by YOU – this listener of the show! We just changed up our rewards on Patreon, and becoming a supporter of the show has never been better. Did someone say postcard from an exotic location? If you want to support the ongoing production of the show, please visit www.theworldwanderers.com/patreon/
Connect with Amanda:
While you’re there, get 50% off guide using the promo code GETPAIDTOTRAVEL
Photos of Amanda: