Ho ho ho happy holidays! It’s that time of year again, and on this episode of the podcast, we’re talking about being away from home during the holiday season! Christmas and the holidays are often a time where people either choose to go home or postpone a trip because they feel like they need to go home or because they have pressure from family and friends. We used to always prioritize going home for Christmas, but this year will be our 4th year away from home and we have found some amazing ways to bring the holidays to wherever we are in the world!
On this episode, we share why we decided to not go home for Christmas and why we continue to travel over the holidays, as well as some of the benefits we’ve experienced by spending time away from home during the holiday season. We also share some tips for bringing your favorite Christmas traditions to you regardless of where you are in the world!
What we talk about in this episode:
- Why we used to prioritize going home for the holidays
- We share about our first Christmas away from home and what that experience was like
- Feeling emotional and guilty to be missing Christmas at home for the first time
- Why there is so much importance around Christmas
- Ryan’s theory on why young people should not go home for Christmas at some point
- The benefits you can get from spending Christmas on your own or doing something different than you’ve always done
- Having a fun experience
- Realizing you miss your family
- Finding traditions that you really love
- Can learn to really appreciate the holidays at home when you’re away
- How to bring the holidays to wherever you are in the world:
- Christmas music on Spotify
- Christmas movies on Netflix
- Finding expat holiday events
- Staying at hostels where you can connect with other travelers
- Connect with friends and cook together and start new traditions!
- If you have a place to stay, you can get some small and affordable decorations
- Bake cookies, build gingerbread houses!
- Starbucks holiday drinks
- Being away from home during the holidays gives you great perspective and insight into a massive cultural holiday
Don’t forget to check out our 2017 holiday gift guide for travelers here!
You can also check out our new travel community on Facebook where you can ask questions, get travel recommendations, and find community members in your area!
This episode of the podcast is brought to you by YOU, the listeners of the show! Thank you to all of our supporters on Patreon – you are the reason we can continue producing TWW! If you want to support the show AND get great rewards, join us at www.patreon.com/theworldwanderers.